Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Commence the weird dreams


I don't know about you, but I have weird dreams. So weird that sometimes, I wonder what's it all supposed to symbolize. For instance, the other night, I dreamt I was walking on a bridge with two other friends and noticed something moving in the water. After a bit, we realized it was a body of a woman floating upside down. My friend Theresa Breaux dove in and got the woman out... who was fine out of the water. I was calling 911 and trying to explain where we were on this bridge...but then for some reason we didn't stick around. I somehow then was in my apartment (not an apartment I know but somehow it was mine) and this guy breaks in. From that point on I couldn't leave or do anything. I was like a hostage in some kind of a messed up relationship. Even when a friend I haven't seen in years came over, I kept on whispering and mouthing at her to call 911 and get me help because I couldn't help myself.

The dream trailed off a bit but still weird!

Then last night, I dreamt I had another mind in my body. A guy mind. And it was just weird cause there was something like trying to find the body and there was some kind of a relationship brewing in the midst of it. So yeah, very weird. I'm not even sure how I would being to try and decipher it.

So what are dreams? According to the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, dreams are a successions of images ideas, emotions and sensations occurring involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep.

From Wiki:

There are many other hypotheses about the function of dreams, including:

-Dreams allow the repressed parts of the mind to be satisfied through fantasy while keeping the conscious mind from thoughts that would suddenly cause one to awaken from shock.
-Freud suggested that bad dreams let the brain learn to gain control over emotions resulting from distressing experiences.
-Jung suggested that dreams may compensate for one-sided attitudes held in waking consciousness.
-Ferenczi proposed that the dream, when told, may communicate something that is not being said outright.
-Dreams regulate mood
-Hartmann says dreams may function like psychotherapy, by "making connections in a safe place" and allowing the dreamer to integrate thoughts that may be dissociated during waking life.
-Joe Griffin, following a twelve-year review of data from all major sleep laboratories, led to the formulation of the expectation fulfillment theory of dreaming, which suggests that dreaming metaphorically completes patterns of emotional expectation in the autonomic nervous system and lowers stress levels in mammals.

What do you think? Do you think dreams mean something? Or are they just random things your mind concocts? Do you have weird dreams?

1 comment:

  1. The dreams I do remember are weird and I usually have no clue what they mean. Like one time I dreamed about a talking shark the size of a great whale that was kept in open take in the middle of a busy museum.

    I think the dream about your mind being in another body could go somewhere with the right amount of muse crack. :)

    ReplyDelete