Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Thursday Thirteen

13 Worst Predictions

1.
Theoretically, television may be feasible, but I consider it an impossibility--a development which we should waste little time dreaming about.
- Lee de Forest, 1926, inventor of the cathode ray tube

2.
It doesn't matter what he does, he will never amount to anything.
- Albert Einstein's teacher to his father, 1895

3.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.
- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962

4.
King George II said in 1773 that the American colonies had little stomach for revolution.

5.
An English astronomy professor said in the early 19th century that air travel at high speed would be impossible because passengers would suffocate.

6. Everything that can be invented has been invented.
-Charles H Duell, an official at the US patent office, 1899

7. I see no reason why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone.
-Charles Darwin in the foreword to his book, The Origin of Species, 1869

8. If anything remains more or less unchanged, it will be the role of women.
-David Riesman, conservative American social scientist, 1967

9. X-rays will prove to be a hoax.
-Lord Kelvin, President of the Royal Society, 1883

10. Television won't last because people will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night.
-Darryl Zanuck, movie producer, 20th Century Fox, 1946

11. The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty, a fad.
-The president of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford's lawyer not to invest in the Ford Motor Co., 1903

12. It will be gone by June.
Variety, passing judgment on rock 'n roll in 1955

13. There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
-Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp. (DEC), maker of big business mainframe computers, arguing against the PC in 1977

for more, visit
here

15 comments:

  1. #8 really hits me because my heroine in Moving In longs to be a housewife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh .... yeah, those are pretty bad. LOL! Great list! Happy Thursday! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list! Just goes to show you never can tell. It's amazing all the things we take for granted today that were considered completely impossible at first. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if they enjoy eating their words?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh. Just goes to show - the "experts" don't know everything, do they?

    Follow your heart and see where it leads you. What more can one say?

    Happy TT!
    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post. Number 13...go fig lol

    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some pretty bad predictions, indeed.

    I love the conviction behind them. So certain and yet so very wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad I didn't have to find a mainframe to post my reply >G<

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, number 11 just makes me wish I'd bought those Google IPOs (random thought process, I know)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are too funn! LOL!

    *hugs*
    Paige

    My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. And aren't we all glad these "experts" were wrong! LOL
    WordTrix

    ReplyDelete
  12. Food for thought. I wonder (in a parellel universe) if they could now see that they were completely *wrong* what the response would be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ~giggles~

    King George III of England said, "I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor." The Georges weren't the smartest monarchs ever to warm the cushion on the throne of England, methinks...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the TV ones. Considering I plan my life around tv and my prv recorder. How sad. LOL Great list.

    ReplyDelete