Thursday, February 3, 2011

Research: A Writer's Goldmine

Research, it's something that all writers must do. We just don't know everything, even though sometimes we like to think that we do. They always say to write what you know, but if that were the case, you wouldn't get all these great paranormals or fantasies, etc. There would be so much that readers would miss out on.

I recently had to write an action scene where the hero is trapped in a burning building. I definitely have never been in such a situation. Just like I've never been involved in a gun fight. I wouldn't know half of what to do if someone came up to me with a gun. In reality, I'm a chicken. A big one. I'm not brave enough to walk into scary situations. I run.

The solution? Research.

Obvious duh right? I'm constantly amazed with what's on the net. There's always someone who knows something about it. Even tv now, there's shows out there to give you a bit of an experience about what to do, whether it's Survivorman, Surviving Disaster, or whatever. What research sites/shows do you love?

No comments:

Post a Comment