Friday, October 21, 2011

How I Write-- Character development

This week, my accountability group ask : how do you flesh out/develop your characters? What process do use to make your characters three-dimensional?

I'm not a person who fills out character sheets. I know that some people swear by them, but for me, I can't do it. Those sheets are an instant muse block. It's plotting and for me, I just can't do it. So what do I do? I layer it in as I go. I'm not sure where some ideas for characters come along. Sometimes, it'll have a good idea beforehand but for the most part, I don't know much. My characters grow sentence by sentence.

Even if I wrote personality and whatnot down in one of those charts, I'd never follow through. I know that. As someone who spent five years writing rp, I was used to filling out character forms. Did my characters ever stick to it? Nope. Oh the physical aspects did, but everything else that was important to make up a char?, no.

Pinterest is good. I do sometimes find items that would suit a char and will pin it to remember. One thing I always do, however, is find a picture that suites the char in my head. I know it doesn't sound like I do a lot to create the chars in my head. I can't really explain how they 'come' to me, only that play a lot of the scenes over and over again in my head.

Check out the others:
Danie Ford Emma G. Delaney Kimberly Farris Kristen Koster

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't surprised about you not using char sheets, being a pantser and all. I had to laugh when you said the same thing about RP. I sometimes use photos for inspiration, but not usually.

    I wonder if a lot of pansters play scenes over and over in their heads before they write them down. I'm lucky I remember my own name let alone everything else some days, so I envy people who can juggle so much in their heads.

    ReplyDelete