Monday, March 8, 2010

The importance of the written word


Mondays, they sneak up on you before you know it. Before you're even ready for it. Or at least, that was how it felt today. Not that it was a busier day than usual, but it still felt like a Monday. The weekends are never long enough.

Not that I did anything really exciting either. Still working on that motivational thing, ya know? So I read and relaxed and did some writing. Not as much as I'd have liked but still, I got a bit done.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it before but I have a plan. A goal. I am to read a book a week. For how long? As long as I can go. Why? Because as a writer it's essentially not only to learn and grow but to just see what's out there. My appetite for reading is quite prolific. I tend to read in the mornings while waiting for the bus or the computer to load up. I've always loved reading. As a teen you'd find me up my favourite tree with a book (and is how I received my nickname "tree frog" by my dad), on the lawn with my pet chicken, up in my room or wherever. I got my first Chapters card when I was in highschool and I still have the same one.

Reading is important to me but I could never really tell you my favourite. I'll always have those that tie but will never be able to put the term of 'favourite' on one. I could never even imagine a world without books... a world without stories. Without writing... there would be no art... and no art... means no imagination... which means no innovations. Truly a scary thing how important writing has become.

No comments:

Post a Comment