Monday, November 30, 2009

Getting to know new characters

Some days I know what to write. The words flow and it's easy to get out 2k in an hour. And then there are days like today where I just stare at the blank page. I know what it is... I'm starting a new project which means new characters. And I'm lost. I'm circling around and around, searching for those words I need but I just can't grasp a single one I like.

Part of it is research. I love it, but it's hard at times to know what to focus on when there's so much out there. For instance, I need to write about Greece. I don't know where to start. I have an idea but no real inklings. I know where the story will somewhat go, but until then, I need to get to know my new characters.

I'm thinking about interviewing Adrianna. Why? Just to pull something out of her. I've done it in the past, albeit, they were already characters with substance and had lived in my head for years. This character, she's new. So sparkling that it hurts just to think about her possibilities.

I know one thing for sure. She's mute. I need help because I don't think even I understand what I'm getting myself into.

So how do you deal with a new character? Do you sit down and chat with them? Interview? Do you do 20 page character sheets? Or do you let the character just come naturally as they will? How do you get to know them?

No comments:

Post a Comment